Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Flavour of the Month....WHO IS BATMAN AND WHO IS THE JOKER???


I was almost blown away by the buzz and hype surrounding THE DARK KNIGHT.The newspapers screamed about it,my friends were smoking through their heads and of course Hollywood was buzzing with the death of a potentially brilliant actor Heath Ledger.There were interviews of his co stars in the papers who raved about his work and said he deserved a posthumous Oscar. Bitten and stung by the curiosity bug I decided to give the movie a view. I was not too impressed with BATMAN BEGINS so I was a little circumspect but my friends dragged me by the hair to the theater so I had no choice.After seeing the film and emerging from the dark hall my first reaction was,"What a f***ing film!!! what a f***ing performance by Heath!!!". Honestly the film should have been named "THE RISE OF THE JOKER" but since nobody gives me a penny for my thoughts and the producers of the film are rolling in the profits,there is no use of my saying this.But....facts are facts...the Joker has overshadowed Batman in the film. If you may have the seen the Batman cartoons you will remember that the Joker is a crazy guy always cracking horrid jokes with a cruel smile on his stupid face,flashing his yellowed teeth and aiming gas bombs and exploding cards at Batman.THE DARK KNIGHT gives a whole new perspective on the Joker and a darker,crueler and murderous criminal emerges.

This brings me to the fictitious question ...who is the Batman??? who is the Joker??? first the Joker..... a murdering psychopath who has ripped his own cheeks with sharp blades to give himself an everlasting smile. The Joker is a suppressed individual who does not indulge in crime for a share of the spoils but because he enjoys the thrill of thwarting Gotham city's protector. His only and sole aim is to destroy Gotham's three pillars Batman,Inspector Gordon and District Attorney Harvey Dent.The manner in which he goes about his job is simply ingenious.He plants seeds of violence and seeds of selfishness in the minds of the people of Gotham and once he does so...the three heroes are helpless.30 million people cannot be controlled by three and in the end the Joker wins.....Batman flees the city and is hounded by the police,Gordon is a wreck and Harvey Dent turns two face and then dies.Some of his lines are classics such as "Did your balls drop off or somethin???"(while addressing the Gotham Mob) "Do you know how I got these scars???" "Hello beautiful!!!" "WHY SO SERIOUS???" "You complete me" (To Batman) "You wont kill me out of some misplaced sense of self righteousness and I wont kill you because you are t0o much fun!!!"(To the Batman) "Chaos is like gravity....one push and you go over the edge..." " Do I look like somebody with a plan??Schemers make plans.I DO things" "Can I make a phone call???".
I salute the late Heath Ledger. A truly masterclass of a performance. I feel so sorry for him. We all have a bit of the Joker in ourselves....a part filled with craziness,filled with mercilessness, filled with the desire to stand out...Somebody might say that Jack Nicholson was the better joker but I say that the two can never be compared.The joker in here as opposed to the earlier one does not care for money. He cares about giving Gotham,"The class of criminals it deserves!!!".Superb!!!! He kills with a knife just to savor his victim's pain and oh yes!!! you just cant trust him...

Now about the Batman.....





Was he there in the film at all??? oh yes he was...The only cool thing about him was his batpod,his stunts and his disguised voice.......sorry Batman...I will leave you for some other time because the Joker has captured my imagination (NO NO!!! I am not an aspiring criminal!!!)

I would strongly urge you to see the film.....because after a long time there comes one which is overflowing with emotional resonance and full of fine haunting performances.....If not just watch it for the stunts....May Heath's soul rest in peace....Until the next time I blog........."WHY SO SERIOUS???"..... and pardon me for any grammatical errors....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

stupendous.............cldnt figure out a better word!!
gr8 goin..........just like ur WLD-BE-WIFE!!..keep up d tempo