Sunday, September 7, 2008

CHICKEN A LA PRAWN


COOK OF THE DECADE

“The essence of food is the love with which it is cooked” Abhik Chatterjee (2008).

Being the self-conceited donkey that I am….I quoted myself :)

I have always considered myself a decent cook….not fabulous but decent…. And I am if I may say so…an adventurous cook. I indulge in cooking at least twice a week and my cooking exploits start after 2 am in the morning (because Mom will kill me if she sees me dirtying the kitchen platform). I love to make people eat….nothing gives me more satisfaction than people licking their fingers and telling me that they want some more (also because praise is effusive after a post-meal bonhomie :) ).

I invent recipes…..yes….. Do not snort into your palms with laughter….I really do…but my recipes are not 100% original. I incorporate an inspiration into each of my recipes.

My inspiration for this recipe came when I was in San Francisco, Alameda for the American Regions Math’s League. The person at whose house I was staying as a PG had a son named Bryan who just loved prawns. I cooked some for him and he loved it. Together we improved upon it and the final product was fantastic. Looking at my Diary of 2004….I am posting the recipe. You are free to try it out and I hope you enjoy cooking….never mind if the first outcome is a charred mess….I have been through that many times….Happy Cooking :) :)

CHICKEN A LA PRAWN



(The name makes no sense I know….but I could not come up with a better one)

[Serves 3]

Time : 45 minutes

INGREDIENTS

  • Boneless chicken : 250 gms
  • Prawn : 200 gms
  • Curd : a cupful
  • Tomatoes : 2
  • Onions : 2 (finely diced)
  • Sweet Tomato Sauce
  • Cardamom
  • Ginger paste : Quarter cupful
  • Cheese : 6 slices
  • Salt : According to taste

PROCEDURE

  • Take the boneless chicken into a bowl and wash carefully.
  • Marinate the chicken till it is tender.
  • If you wish you can marinate the chicken using salt water.
  • Add a cupful of curd to the chicken and mix well.
  • Take a separate bowl and add ginger paste, onions and mashed tomatoes.
  • Crush the mixture and grind it into a paste. You can use a grinder to achieve better results.
  • Take a non stick pan and grease it with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil.
  • Add the mixture and sauté for 10 minutes till the onion granules are golden brown.
  • Now take the prawns and sauté them in a separate pan over a low flame with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil for 10 minutes.
  • Let the prawns cool and then take out the curd coated chicken pieces and prying them open gently, stuff them with the sautéed prawn.
  • Add the stuffed chicken pieces to the paste prepared above and fry over a deep flame for 15 minutes.
  • Add shredded cheese slices and a small amount of ketchup.
  • Add salt and cardamom leaves with discretion.
  • Serve hot with lemon slices.

Let me assure you that this is my original recipe. It has not been nicked. Accusations will be dealt with a cold rebuff. Praises are welcome :) Until the next time…..Feed and be fed :) :)

CIAO.

1 comment:

me said...

Hey there... the recipe looks great! I love prawns and chicken... the combo is amazing so!!! Kudos! :)