Monday, September 8, 2008

SHERLOCK HOLMES :THE MYSTERY OF THE DISAPPEARING HARPOON- PART 2



“Mr. Downing immediately made a quick survey of the surroundings to ensure the harpoon’s disappearance and then contacted Scotland Yard. But here Mr. Holmes comes the most astonishing part…..After I visited the scene of the crime, a glaring fact struck my eyes….the pedestal on which the harpoon was mounted had a gold ring lying under it!!!” Lestrade remarked his eyes aglow with excitement. “And what is so special about this ring my dear friend? “enquired Holmes, his eyes twinkling with merriment. “Mr. Holmes…this ring belongs to Neil Johnston and was buried with him when he died….” said Lestrade. Holmes drew a deep breath and smiled. “Aaah Watson…..a most startling fact eh??” remarked Holmes, his nostrils quivering.

“Now Lestrade….since you have obliged me with your singular tale…..I too have a surprise for you. You chided me for my carelessness today Watson but the truth is that the pain of waiting for a certain individual, coupled with the lack of activity forced me to supplement my weaknesses. Gentlemen, I am about to introduce to you, a charismatic and an extremely gifted individual. I may not be wrong in saying that he matches me wit to wit and trick to trick….and if I am not mistaken ….those are his footfalls upon my humble staircase….”

The door swung open and for a moment I was speechless. Even the proficient gabbler Lestrade seemed to be for once…out of words. “Gentlemen ….I give you Monsieur Hercule Poirot “, Holmes remarked with a flourish. The man strode over and shook Holmes firmly by the hand. Then he turned around and tipped his hat. “Aaah Monsieur Watson…the able and intelligent historian….a pleasure to meet you at last “ the little man said beaming and twirling his striking moustache. “And you mon ami “ he remarked looking at Lestrade “ you may not be my Inspector Japp but you are as able as efficient as he is”. Lestrade flushed with pleasure. “You arrive at an opportune time my dear Poirot, Lestrade here has an engaging case to be looked upon. It would be my honour if you would join me in unraveling this ball of twisted string”, said Holmes smiling in his familiar indulgent manner. “It would be my pleasure mon ami” replied Poirot beaming “but how I wish my able Hastings was here to witness this brilliant occasion! He would have been absolutely delighted. Very well Monsieur Holmes. If you give me a few minutes to apply my pomade and drink my sirop, I will be most wholeheartedly at your disposal”.

After half an hour, Poirot had refreshed himself and the story had been recounted for his benefit. “This case is rechreche’- very fine” he remarked, “Did you by any chance Madame, add chocolate to this sirop ?”. Miss Hudson, Holmes’s landlady, who had just entered the room and served Poirot, nodded in affirmative. “A la bonne heure”, he said smiling, “you are a very intelligent lady, mademoiselle”. Miss Hudson left the room blushing. I knew of Holmes’s startling ability to charm the fairer sex but evidently Poirot was a master at it too.

“Have you collected the evidence Lestrade??” Holmes asked. “Yes Mr. Holmes…I have it here in my overcoat pocket”, said Lestrade and took out a sealed plastic bag. “Vous eprouvez trop d’emotion, Lestrade”, remarked Poirot “it affects your hands and efficiency. The next time please seal the bag a little better”. I looked at Holmes only to find him suppressing a smile. “A treat for you Watson, Poirot and I will solve the case without leaving 221 B Baker Street”. Poirot chuckled “Wonderful mon ami…you have made this interesting”. ”Have you solved the case already???” Lestrade asked incredulously. “No….I have not….not yet……” said Holmes, his fingertips together, ”not yet……” .





************************************************************************************

This post is also dedicated to Agatha Christie.

No comments: