Sunday, November 30, 2008

WHEN I WAS A COMMANDO FOR A DAY....


This incident took place when I was in class I...a tender and impressionable age...when I was just starting to be introduced to the infinite world of cricket :), when my hair was just starting to develop spikes of their own, when my heart used to regularly beat loudly on seeing cute girls and when I became conscious of my weight and my fat butt (I was chubby back then :) )

I was the great chief of the playground in front of my house...My loyal subjects included children from the neighboring colonies and the trees that lined the playground... On a lazy Sunday I decided to hold an important meeting with all my ministers. The point which was being discussed was of prime importance. There was this peanut seller who used to encroach our playing area before we used reach the park at 4pm... The exact motive of this peanut seller was never quite clear... Maybe he was a CEO fed up with life and the peanut package he was getting...Maybe he was a terrorist who was setting up a control room admist the trees so that he could attack us at a crucial juncture and take over the vast kingdom over which we ruled.....

The next day, we decided to put our plan to the practice test...With perfect commando like training we swooped down the playground slide and ran a short distance across and scaled the huge banyan tree under which some seniors were playing cricket....I imagined myself to be one of the elite commandos belonging to the MARCOS group and grappling one of the tree vines, I tried to execute a perfect rope rappel from the chopper (the banyan tree) onto enemy territory below....Alas..as soon as my feet hit the ground below....an explosion blew me of my feet...

Unfortunately one of the seniors playing cricket swung his bat towards me accidentally and it caught me flush in the mouth....I still remember kneeling over, my mouth a bloody mess...all my front milk teeth gone and shouting "mission aborted.....the terrorists have got me !!!!" before collapsing in a heap and sacrificing myself to become an immortal martyr on my school land.


My friends, solemnly carried me on their shoulders to the school hospital and gave me a 21 lollipop salute before leaving. The rest of the story is quite funny because the dentist told to have as much ice cream and cold drinks as possible to stimulate the numbed area in my mouth and within 5 months I grew back my teeth...But the incident taught me to respect the commandos who put their duty before their lives.... I salute the commandos who saved the day for all of us and pay a tribute to those who put down their lives while fighting for our motherland.

No comments: